After a medal fest for the Indian contingent where they won 11 medals on the second last day of the competition, boosted India’s tally of medals and they now stand with 18 gold medals and a total of 55 medals to their tally. India won’t match their tally of 66 medals which they achieved in 2018 Gold Coast edition of the games but they contingent should be proud of their effort in a field where shooting was scrapped from the games. Its worth mentioning that India won 27 medals in shooting in the last edition and that’s what made the way to a top 3 finish for the Indian contingent.
India is currently ranked 5th in the table with 18 gold medals and they are one gold medal away from overtaking New Zealand at 4th spot with 19 gold medals. India has more medals than the Kiwis which will help them overpower the “British of South” to 5th spot. India can still add more medals on the last day of the multi sport event in Birmingham but they will still be short of overtaking Canada who stands at 3rd spot with 24 gold medals.
India will have chance to bag three gold medals in badminton as they take the field in men’s singles, women’s singles and men’s doubles final. Indian men’s hockey team will have their job cut out when they take on Australia in the gold medal match. Achanta Sharath Kamal has been a great servant to Indian table tennis and he will be up against a Liam Pitchford of England, who will be one to beat in the finals. Other Indian in the fray will be Sathiyan Gnanasekaran, who will play his bronze medal match in men’s singles discipline.
Here is India’s schedule-
- Women’s singles final- PV Sindhu(India) vs Michelle Li(Canada) from 1:20 PM
- Men’s singles final- Lakshya Sen(India) vs Tze Yong Ng(Malaysia) from 2:10 PM
- Men’s doubles final- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty(India) vs Ben Lane/Sean Vendy(England) from 3 PM
Men’s hockey final- India vs Australia from 5 PM
- Men’s singles bronze medal match- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran(India) vs Paul Drinkhall(England) from 3:45 PM
- Men’s singles gold medal match- Achanta Sharath Kamal(India) vs Liam Pitchford(England) from 4:25 PM