Sindhu and Marin square off in India Open finals.
Sunday could well turn out to be complete extravaganza for ardent badminton fans around the globe as India’s PV Sindhu and Spain’s Carolina Marin will face off in India Open finals . With world rank of 5 and 2 respectively. Well the ranking doesn’t matter when the match is between the two fierce competitors , who have allready made their impact in the world of badminton.
Marin specializes in aggressive style of play and her quick movement on court while Sindhu clearly focusses on her lethal smashes that can take the opposition by surprise.
However Marin leads in the head to head battles , winning 5 of the encounters out of 9.
- World Junior Championships 2010 | Sindhu wins in straight games
- Maldives Challenge 2011 | Marin wins in three games
- Australian Open 2014 | Marin wins in straight games
- World Championships 2014 | Marin wins in straight games
- Syed Modi International Grand Prix 2015 | Marin wins in straight games
- Denmark Open Superseries 2015 | Sindhu wins in three games
- Hong Kong Superseries 2015 | Marin wins in straight games
- Rio Olympics 2016 | Marin wins in three games
- Dubai World Super Series Finals 2016 | Sindhu wins in straight games
Starting from the junior level , both these shuttlers have been fierce rivals and the rivalry continues today when they will go head to head in their 10th match . Siri Fort complex would certainly be cheering for PV Sindhu as she is playing in her backyard but Marin have equal fan support in India and one can not be surprised if crowd also chants the name of Marin in support.
On Saturday Sindhu defeated World number 4 , Sung Ji Hyun of Korea in 3 games 21-18 , 18-21 , 21-14 . While Marin defeated World number 2 , Akane Yamaguchi of Japan 21-16 , 21-4 dominantly in straight sets
It would be interesting to see if Sindhu can level 5-5 in the head to head battle by defeating Marin and clinching the Yonex India Open finals ,to become the second Indian woman to clinch the title after Saina Nehwal , who won this title in 2015. However Marin would want to continue her domination and make it 6-4 in her favour against Sindhu .